Friday 2 August 2019

Is Andrew Scheer in the closet about Quebec sovereignty?

Not being a conservative, I disagree with most of Andrew Scheer's pronouncements, but they rarely surprise me. One, however, surprised me very much. Indeed, I was surprised that any Anglophone Canadian politician would express such an opinion. I refer to his extraordinary admission that he supports Brexit. He said his support for Britain's departure from the EU was based on the principle of sovereignty. I suspect he didn't appreciate at the time how many ears in Quebec perked up when they heard that.

I am flabbergasted that he would so foolishly support something that has turned out to be what any rational observer would have expected—a recipe for chaos. I can, however, offer a few reasons why he might have. One, he lacks the imagination to realize that by supporting Britain's exit from the EU he must logically support Quebec's exit from Canada. Two, he so loves mother Britain he can deny her nothing (conservatives, at least of the Anglophone variety, tend to be inordinately fond of the old girl). Three, he privately supports Quebec separation.

So which is it, Mr. Scheer?

No comments: